First Time Borrowers
Before you can borrow ToolBank tools, you must become a ToolBank member agency by completing our brief online membership application (see button at bottom of this screen). Currently, there is no membership fee. Only community-based organizations are eligible for membership. Qualifying organizations include:
- Non-profit/ Charitable/ Tax-exempt organizations
- Schools/ PTAs/ PTOs
- Neighborhood Associations
- Faith-based groups
- Civic associations
- Government agencies
A 501(c)3 tax-exempt determination letter is not a requirement for ToolBank membership. Membership is extended to a diversity of groups so long as a) you are an organization, not an individual and b) you can demonstrate you will be using tools to provide community benefit.
Before you begin your application, please note the following:
- Be prepared to upload relevant documentation of your community organization’s work. For non-profits and community benefit organizations, this could be your IRS determination letter. For other groups, this could be a flyer that advertises a project or projects that provide demonstrable community benefit. These documents serve as proof of your eligibility to borrow ToolBank tools.
- For all faith-based organizations and political offices: You may be eligible for membership for certain projects, provided you are not: a) excluding any audience from your event; b) are not hosting an invite-only event (i.e. a wedding, funeral); and c) are not using tools and equipment to endorse your political candidacy.
- Examples of the type of project you could host as a faith-based organization include a food giveaway open to all or a landscaping project on church grounds.
- An example of the type of project you could host with ToolBank tools as a political office include a get-out-the-vote drive (so long as it does not imply endorsement of a specific candidate or party) or a park clean-up event.
- Please remember to write down your password! The application process creates a user account for you in our online tool ordering system, which empowers you to order tools and manage your account.
- If your agency is eligible to become a ToolBank member and you have documentation of your community benefit status handy, then you are ready to begin your membership application. If you have any questions or need assistance, call direct: (410) 244-5565. Anyone who answers can assist!
For other inquiries, please contact us by emailing email@example.com.
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed and, if everything is in proper order, approved within one business day. You will receive an email notifying you of approval or denial. If approved, you will be eligible to order tools at your earliest convenience.
For first-time borrowers, all tool handling fees are due upon pick-up of tools.